top of page

Activities: Wetlands

Updated: Mar 28, 2021

Discover Wetland Critters

ages 4 - 15

Wetlands are teeming with life. Use a container to scoop up some water from the edge and see what you can find swimming around. There's no need to identify all of the species, just marvel at the diversity!



  1. Find an old container in the recycling (white works best for being able to see small critters)

  2. Visit a local wetland or even a vernal pool in your backyard and take a scoop of water from the edge. What can you see swimming around? Use a magnifying glass to get a closer look (you may want to bring along a shallower container to transfer things that you want to see under the magnifying glass)

  3. Here are some questions to ask when looking at an organism: How does this organism move around? What is it using to propel through the water? How does this animal eat? How does this plant get energy? Where does this organism fit in the food web? What defense or protection methods does this organism use?

  4. Optional: use a field guide to identify some of the species you see

  5. Return the critters and the water to the wetland.

Learn Your Frog Calls

ages 12 - adult

Just like birds, frogs have many unique and interesting calls. Learn the local frog calls so that you will be able to identify the amphibians right in your neighborhood!

Here is the list of frogs in New Hampshire. Use the link below to hear the calls of each of these species.

  • American Toad 

  • Fowler's Toad 

  • Gray Treefrog 

  • Spring Peeper 

  • American Bullfrog 

  • Green Frog 

  • Mink Frog 

  • Wood Frog 

  • Northern Leopard Frog 

  • Pickerel Frog

Link to take the frog call quiz:

Vernal Pool Reporting

ages 15 - adult

Vernal pools are important but vulnerable habitats. If you have a vernal pool on your property, consider reporting it to the New Hampshire Fish and Game so that scientists can gain valuable information about these habitats and their locations.


  1. Print and fill out this form based on the vernal pool on your property:

  2. Mail the completed form to the Nongame and Endangered Wildlife Program at the N.H. Fish and Game Department

23 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page